Inspirations of Volunteering: Zealyn Heng
" My trips to developing countries made me realize how fortunate I am and inspired me to make a difference in the lives of others from young. Though it may seem cliché, but it is this very goal that keeps me going throughout my life; be it in simple acts of kindness or being involved in volunteer activities. I wanted to become a medical doctor so that I can help people, but despite attempts, this seem not possible at this point in time. I guess God has a plan for me.
I recognize that help could be administered in many other ways. Hence, I decided to be a volunteer tutor at The Salvation Army, even though I had no formal tutoring experience. I have since been giving tuition an hour each week at Gracehaven. Occasionally, upon arriving at the gates of Gracehaven, I would receive a “grand” welcome; hearing a loud voice exclaiming, “My tuition teacher is here!”. I feel honored and privileged to be able to help others.
As a volunteer tutor, I believe that a good rapport and relationship with the student, both as a teacher and a friend, is important. I would lend a listening ear to my student who would share interesting stories of her life and would sometimes write cards to encourage her. And the smile on her face really brightens up my day.
Besides having good rapport and relationship, a volunteer tutor would need patience, in order to cope with different learning abilities; humility, to put ourselves in the shoes of others; compassion, to offer encouragement; and dedication, to commit ourselves to help to the best of our ability.
In addition, I do also feel that volunteering can be as a form of relaxation from our hectic schedules. When I meet with challenges, instead of dwelling on it, I would instead choose to bring joy to others; this helps to “dilute” any unhappiness that I may experience. Just make time and volunteer; once you start you will never stop. "
Zealyn Heng Shi Lin
Volunteer Tutor
Gracehaven
Zealyn is currently studying Life Sciences in the National University of Singapore (NUS). With a strong belief in being a good role model for others to emulate, Zealyn could be seen to be actively participating in school activities, taking on many leadership roles since a young age. This conviction is fuelled by her personal goals of leading well, excelling in her studies and serving the community. Balancing these require tremendous willpower. Her friends would always wonder why she is always up and about, to which she replies “my time is used to help others, which is a hobby I enjoy”. For her, the verse from Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me”, guides her life. She has participated in a wide range of volunteer work; ranging from fundraising through selling merchandise, writing petition letters during meet-the-people sessions, to overseas mission trips. Deciding between giving financially and providing direct help, she would usually choose the latter, finding it more meaningful. And she constantly reminds herself that she has to also remember to render help in her home country as well as overseas.
